Moving to the UK: Our 1 minute guide

Planning a move to the UK? The latest employment statistics from the Labour Force Survey show estimated employment of EU nationals (excluding British) living in the UK was 2.0 million in October to December 2015, 215,000 higher than the same quarter last year. The UK is a great place to live and work, but before you make the move you’ll need a few pointers.

Here’s how to get ahead when planning a move to the UK.


National insurance
If you want to work in the UK you will need to have a National Insurance number (NI number). Most people working in the UK have to pay NI contributions however, there are some exceptions. Have a look here for more information.

When you work in the UK as an employee you will pay income tax, along with your national insurance, through a system called PAYE. If you are self-employed you will need to complete a tax return and pay any taxes you owe at the end of the tax year.

If you are coming to the UK to study, but also plan on working whist you are here you will also need to pay income tax and NI, but only if you earn enough money. Check out the UK Council for International Student Affairs for more information.


For short stay accommodation consider the YHA (this is also a good shout if you are looking for an affordable holiday). They are usually in great locations around the UK including in London and they can be great places to meet others.

Hostels not really your thing but still need somewhere to stay urgently? Consider Airbnb for a week or so, it will be more costly than the YHA but you can find somewhere quickly near where you need to be.

Rental agencies
Consider this option if you are looking for a flat or a house for a longer stay in the UK, but it’s not cheap. You will normally need to fill out application forms and pay a holding deposit to secure the property (take the property off the rental market). You may also be asked to pay one month rent upfront as a deposit and your first month’s rent in advance.


You are definitely going to need access to your money whilst in the UK, but getting a bank account is not as straightforward as you might think. You often need to have a proof of address (usually at least 3 months worth of utility bills in your name) and you may need other identifying documents. With Monese you only need your smartphone and your passport or national i.d to open a UK current account. You will receive a UK sort code and account number which you can give to your employer so you can get paid. You will also receive your own contactless Visa Debit card which can be used in all Visa outlets. Get yours here.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s